Church of the Holy Light

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Church of the Holy Light guild on the realm Earthen Ring.

+2
Rhadegar
Ronath
6 posters

Infirmary Duty Achievement

Ronath
    Ronath
    Protector
    Protector

Infirmary Duty Achievement Empty Infirmary Duty Achievement

Post  Ronath Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:37 pm

As it stands now achievement says :

Complete 5 days on infirmary duty (min. 4 hours / each)

From what I am able to tell it requires someone to spend 4 hours on infirmary duty during one day, meaning that if one does 2 hours on one day and 2 on another, it will not count.

Basing on my own experiences here and some thinking, I would like to suggest making each point of achievement tick every 2 hours and increase number of days to 10. In other words turning it into :

Complete 10 days on infirmary duty (min. 2 hours / each)

Reason I am suggesting it is not to make it easier to score, but to make it a bit more flexible and interesting. As it is now, completing the achievement seems to be a rather tedious thing to do, especially if nothing is going on and Protector could better spend his time patrolling around the Cathedral alone for which we dont have an achievement yet.

Now even if everything goes according to plan and infirmary needs protection, protector is there and everyone is happy, it still means that 4 hours daily have to be spent for performing same function. As much as most of us seems to be alright with playing several hours daily or even more, some people may appear who would prefer to have variation during limited gametime they have available and still feel they can complete an achievement. Even some of those who play longer could probably appreciate fact they do not need to stand in the same place for an extended period of time which 4 hours seems to be.

So what could change when achievement is modified? First, Protectors can have more variety during their duty while retaining sense of achievement for their performance. Second, they are able to adjust easier to both IC and OOC happenings. Lastly, having more days Protector has to spend on performing certain duty may actually make the achievement feel more meaningfull overall. As completing it would last minimum 10 days, which can actually be full of fun, rather than frustration.

Now, this is all I have to say in this area for now. Please keep in mind everything here is based on my own experiences and thoughts, so Im not claiming to speak for other Protectors. Still, I figured subject is worth discussing.

Cheers!
    Rhadegar
    Rhadegar

Infirmary Duty Achievement Empty Re: Infirmary Duty Achievement

Post  Rhadegar Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:08 am

Listen to the wise man.

Note, I am not saying who the wise man is.
    Vethen
    Vethen
    Knight
    Knight

Post  Vethen Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:41 am

I will also agree. Standing around for four hours possibly doing nothing can be rather boring and dull. I do heavily suggest and agree that the hours be reduced to two, or met in the middle and culled to three. And Ronath mentioned the reasons as to why.

Regards,
    Vethen
    Cedric
    Cedric
    High Priest
    High Priest

Post  Cedric Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:38 pm

We might also simplify and change "infirmary duty" to "general protector duty" After the lift of the weapon ban, there aren't many tasks that are infirmary-specific, and we'd rather have you be all over the place. (Though still within reach, so you won't score points for spending that IC time drinking ale in Old Town)

In that case, I don't see the need to change the required hours, as "general protector duty" covers all on-duty time you spend IC.

Patrols can be a part of this, and the patrol achievement replaced with another task (Suggestions please!)
    Eihrissa
    Eihrissa
    Deaconess
    Deaconess

Post  Eihrissa Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:49 pm

Apologies for the belated response, but I have been away from excessive internet connection for the past few days.

I think the 4 hour timer is quite spot-on. Most people are finished with their dinner by around 19.00, and (should have) completed their home/course/schoolwork at this point. This allows for continuous duty RP until 23.00, and by that time you will have gotten your achievement point. You are free to continue and RP, or log off if you so wish. Of course this might vary from person to person, but I do not believe that 4 consecutive hours should be difficult to attain on an evening sans any obligations or the like.

Despite my character being a priestess that often has a lot to do in the infirmary, I am capable of seeing this from different perspectives, and with the removal of both worgen & weapon laws, I see clearly how it can get dull over the course of several hours. Where this has been a separate achievement for the Clergy (both a general duty and an infirmary one) perhaps it would be a better idea to combine the two of them into one, making it count all sorts of duty? To balance it out, booting it up from 5 to 10 evenings would be my suggestion, or 7 as a compromise.
    Ronath
    Ronath
    Protector
    Protector

Post  Ronath Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:58 pm

To comment on what Eihrissa said, in my eyes 4 h timer is indeed spot on but only if you put all of those things like patrol and infirmary duty under one achievement which you guys propose, yes. Generalising Protector duties in this way however, may make the whole achievement system become rather shalow for certain ranks of Protectors as then in doesnt encourage much more than simply being in Cathedral. So if certain achievements were to be combined together I think it would have to be complimented by adding one or two other interesting achievements that encourage Protectors to perform various activities, which is what I assumed be part of the logic behind achievement system.

In my personal opinion, we should combine the said achievements only if we are able to provide one or two other ones to keep it interesting, and what kind of achievements it should be I am pondering on. Another matter is that even when achievements end being combined, Protectors should be encouraged to perform various activities during their duty rather than just one. But this perhaps could be delt by higher ranked or bluer protectors (yes you Vethen!), who would simply order their subbordinates to do this or that.
    Zackariah
    Zackariah
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  Zackariah Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:36 am

The Achievement has been changed to the suggested 10 days of 2 hours-version, thus so far only on Protectors.

Thank you for the feedback!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:52 pm